Sunday, February 21, 2016

Local Revision: Variety

I read the portion about sentence variety in Rules for Writers, so I can now use that to revise my draft and evaluate my sentence variety in my project.

Is there variation in my sentence structure?
At this point I feel like there is a moderate amount of variety in my sentence structure. It doesn't have too many redundant sentence forms, but there are a few. I don't like how I phrased some of my sentences, in that they don't flow very well with the next one. I have varied some of my sentence openings, and I definitely have differences in sentence structures. It has come a long way though. I had a plethora of compound sentences in the beginning that were bordering on run-on sentences. I had to shorten some to make them easier for the reader to digest. (See what I did there? Reader's Digest? ....at least I think I'm funny...)
How're my paragraph structures doing?

My paragraphs are kinda struggling, seeing as they are either too long or too short. I'm definitely going to go through to split them up really quickly. I personally feel like in a situation like this a short paragraph will do me more favors than a long one. The transitions between my paragraphs in each section flow fairly well, and each paragraph flows from its topic question. I tried to link the topic questions in an order that made sense as well.

Shall we take a look at vocabulary?

I have always been proud of my vocabulary usage. I have enjoyed writing papers in the past because I've used them as an excuse to utilize the full range of words I have access to. Unfortunately this class is not the place for that. We are supposed to have our real voice present in our papers, and I've never had to do that. I have rewritten sentences in the past to the point that they sound like they sound like I'm 3-4 times my age. In this project I've had to tone that WAY down, and I still don't feel like I've toned it down enough, but I just don't know how to. I've done the best I can for where I'm at right now. The variety is doing pretty well I feel like. The use of synonyms was useful and, I feel like, well done in this project because I wasn't being monotonous and repetitive. That is probably a strength. The weakness here is that I didn't use many different points of playful or entertaining language in the way that I could've. Definitely something I need to work on.

Prerana Jangam "Dictionary Language" 4/3/2013 via pdpics. Public Domain licensing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment