Sunday, February 21, 2016

Local Revision: Tense Usage

I will now proceed to place all of my verbs into lists. These lists will be past tense, present tense, and future tense. Probs gonna shorten that to 'Past', 'Present', and 'Future' though..

Past:

Submitted
treated
published
usedx2
wrote
passed
called
quoted

Present:

Going
Gain
be
doing
stutteringx2
stutters
involves
tracking
restricting
receive
limits
is
expressing
are
passing
doubles
signing
states
providing
requires
creation
exploration
expresses
says
are
stating

Future:

Require
Provide
Going
Gain
treatment
treatment
receive
select
branch out
limit
creation
exploration
response

Which tense do I use most often?

Apparently I have an affinity for using the present tense, closely followed by future tense.

What does that do for me?

I feel like using verbs in the present tense places the reader more in the story and involves them with what I'm saying. It makes it seem like something that matters now rather than something that did happen and no longer need attention placed on it.

Do my tenses flow?

I personally feel like my tenses flow really well. I don't feel any jarring between them. I suppose that could be up to interpretation, but I've always felt like I was fairly good at using the correct tense in the correct place and at the correct time. I'm pretty sure it makes sense.

What about my use of Present tense?

I used plenty of present tense. Especially since it was the tense I used the most. I'm definitely not afraid to place things in the present tense. I feel like it's an important part of any piece of literature to utilize the 'here and now'.

RondellMelling "Smart Child Clever Intelligent Glasses" 9/13/2013 via Pixabay. Public Domain licensing.

No comments:

Post a Comment